Cliff McCarthy, 2016
John Stow died in 1722 at age 50. His oldest son, John, at age 23, was named administrator of his father’s estate. He was also made guardian of his 15 year-old brother Solomon. Jeremiah Stow, still a minor at age 18, was made the ward of his uncle, Nathaniel Stow. The widow, Bathsheba, was named guardian of her two youngest children, Martha, age 10, and Ebenezer, age 8, although eight years later, Ebenezer would choose his brother John as his guardian.
In the distribution of the estate, John, the eldest son received the largest share, with his siblings each receiving about 25 pounds. The widow Bathsheba had remarried to Daniel Hubbard and so, only received a little over 4 pounds.
In December of 1722, Bathsheba married Daniel Hubbard as his second wife. They lived together for 36 years. Daniel died in 1758; Bathsheba died a year later at age 82. Her gravestone, in Washington Street Cemetery, Middletown, Connecticut reads:
Formerly ye Widdow
of Mr. John Stow
& Died ye Widdow
of Mr. Daniel Hubbard
With the [illegible] Pox
October 20, 1759
Children of John & Bathsheba (How) STOW
JOHN STOW was born 3 March 1671/72 in Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT, and died 1722 in Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT. He married BATHSHEBA HOW May 1698 in Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT, daughter of JEREMIAH HOW and ELIZABETH PECK. She was born 13 September 1677 in Wallingford, CT, and died 20 October 1759 in Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT. The Children of JOHN STOW and BATHSHEBA HOW are:
i. JOHN STOW, b. 9 July 1699, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT; m. HANNAH HUBBARD, 1 August 1722, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT; b. 4 July 1700, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT.
ii. ELIZABETH STOW, b. 10 January 1700/01, Middletown, CT; m. JOHN HUBBARD, 1722.
iii. JEREMIAH STOW, b. 1 May 1704.
iv. SOLOMON STOW, b. 4 January 1706/07.
v. MARTHA STOW, b. 12 November 1711, Middletown, CT; d. 14 April 1725, Middletown, CT.
vi. EBENEZER STOW, b. 28 March 1714.
- Adams, Charles Collard, Middletown Upper Houses, (Grafton Press: New York, 1908).
- Barbour, Lucius Barnes, “Middletown [CT] Vital Records,” (Transcribed by Coralynn Brown, at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/barbour/middletown_barbour_main.htm, 16 September 2005), “Electronic.”
- “In-Depth First Settler Profile: John Stow & Mary (Wetmore) Stow,” Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, 2013.
- Jacobus, Donald Lines and Edgar Francis Waterman, Hale, House and Related Families, (Clearfield Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1997; originally published 1952).
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1981).
- “Middletown, CT Marriages Extracted from Land Records,” ((Transcribed by Coralynn Brown, at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/barbour/middletown_barbour_main.htm, 16 September 2005)), “Electronic.”
- Tuttle, George Frederick, Descendants of William and Elizabeth Tuttle, (Tuttle & Co., Rutland, VT, 1883).