Cliff McCarthy, 2016
Thomas Shepard was the son of Thomas & Hannah (Blanchard) Shepard. He was baptized at Charlestown, Mass., 27 Nov. 1692.
In 1729, Thomas married Sarah Hotchkiss, born at East Haven, Conn. on 20 May 1712, daughter of Samuel and Mary Hotchkiss.
Between Feb. 1727/8 and March 1750/51, Thomas was involved in many land transactions and his name appears frequently in New Haven deeds.
Thomas died at East Haven in 1755 and his will, dated 19 Aug. 1755, was proved 3 Sept. 1755. It made his wife Sarah and elder son Samuel executors. Division was made 21 Dec. 1755 to the widow Sarah and children Samuel, Thomas, Jacob, Abigail and Sarah.
Sarah married second, 26 May 1757, to Caleb Hitchcock by whom she had no children. Caleb Hitchcock of New Haven was made guardian, June 1757, to the daughter Mary, and, in June 1762, to the son Jacob.
Sarah died at East Haven on the 17th of September 1773, at age 61.
Children of Thomas & Sarah (Hotchkiss) SHEPARD
THOMAS SHEPARD was born Abt. 1692 in prob. Charlestown, MA, and died August 1755 in East Haven, New Haven Co., CT. He married SARAH HOTCHKISS in 1729, daughter of SAMUEL HOTCHKISS and MARY. She was born 20 May 1712 in East Haven, New Haven Co., CT, and died 17 September 1773 in East Haven, New Haven Co., CT. The Children of THOMAS SHEPARD and SARAH HOTCHKISS are:
i. SAMUEL SHEPARD, b. 22 August 1730, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT.
ii. THOMAS SHEPARD, b. 16 January 1732/33, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; m. LYDIA, 4 February 1783, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT.
iii. ABIGAIL SHEPARD, b. 15 June 1736, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; d. 17 April 1821, Branford, New Haven Co., CT; m. (1) ELIAS FORBES, 26 November 1755, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; b. 1735, Wethersfield, Hartford Co., CT; d. 1761, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; m. (2) GEORGE STOW, 9 December 1762, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; b. Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT; d. 1778, Middletown, Middlesex Co., CT; m. (3) JONATHAN GOODSELL, Abt. 1802; b. 27 February 1740/41, Branford, CT; d. Bef. 8 March 1831, Branford, CT.
iv. ISAAC SHEPARD, b. 1738.
v. JACOB SHEPARD, m. PATIENCE BRADLEY.
vi. SARAH OR MARY SHEPARD, b. Abt. 1744.
- East Haven [CT] Vital Records (as reproduced at http://www.newenglandancestors.org, NEHGS, Boston, MA, 16 September 2005).
- Forbes Family Website 2 (at: http://forbesfamilytree2.tripod.com).
- Hotchkiss, Herbert A., “The Hotchkiss Family,” (Connecticut Nutmegger, Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Vol. 6, #4, March 1974.), at the Wood Museum of Springfield History, Springfield.
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1981).
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, “The Hotchkiss Family,” (NEHGS Register, Vol. LXVI, October 1912).
- Shepard, Gerald Faulkner, compiler, Jacobus, Donald Lines, ed., Shepard Families of New England, Vol. 1 (New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven, CT, 1971).