Cliff McCarthy, 2016
Samuel Gilbert, the son of Samuel and Hannah (Dorman) Gilbert, was born in New Haven, Connecticut on 27 November 1724 — a month after his father died. He was baptized in New Haven as an adult on 6 September 1741.
Samuel Gilbert married Sarah Sackett in New Haven, Connecticut, on 2 July 1750. Sarah Sackett, daughter of Joseph Sackett, was born about 1731.
Samuel Gilbert served in the French and Indian War. He enrolled as a private in James Peck’s Co. in the 2nd Regiment in 1755, but was promoted to sergeant by 1757 and was among those soldiers that went to the aid of Fort William Henry near Lake George, NY. He also served in 1759 and in 1760.
Perhaps because of his exposure to the Hudson Valley and Lake George region during his military service, Samuel and Sarah apparently moved to Dutchess County, New York, shortly thereafter. The following newspaper item appeared in 1761:
Sarah’s father, Joseph Sackett, also moved from New Haven to Dutchess County, NY sometime before 1790.
Samuel Gilbert died at aged 74 in Dutchess County on 27 November 1797 and was buried at Winchell Mountain Burial Ground, Dutchess County.
Sarah (Sackett) Gilbert died aged 86 in Dutchess County, New York State, on 22 February 1818 and was buried at Coleman’s Station Burying Ground, Dutchess County. It is unknown why the couple were not buried together.
The will of Joseph Sackett, Sarah’s father, was written in 1795, but was not probated until 1818, shortly after Sarah’s death. In it, he gave 5 pounds to Sarah and all his real estate in the township of New Haven, Connecticut, to Sarah’s children, except her son Samuel. (He might have provided for Samuel previously.)
Children of Samuel & Sarah (Sackett) Gilbert
SAMUEL GILBERT was born 27 November 1724 in New Haven, New Haven Co., CT, and died 27 November 1797. He married SARAH SACKETT 2 July 1750 in New Haven, CT, daughter of JOSEPH SACKETT and UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1732, and died 22 February 1818. The Children of SAMUEL GILBERT and SARAH SACKETT are:
i. SAMUEL GILBERT, b. 14 January 1750/51, New Haven, CT; d. 21 June 1827, New Haven, CT; m. ESTHER BRADLEY; b. Abt. 1750; d. 14 November 1823, Woodbridge, New Haven Co., CT.
ii. SARAH GILBERT, b. 26 January 1753; m. (1) OBED BLAKESLEY, 16 December 1773; m. (2) ROSWELL COOK, 10 June 1787.
iii. THADDEUS GILBERT, b. 4 April 1755, New Haven, New Haven Co., CT; m. (1) HANNAH WHITMORE, 24 March 1774, Pomfret, CT; m. (2) PATIENCE WHIPPLE, 25 July 1775.
iv. SYBIL GILBERT, b. Abt. 1757.
v. (possibly) SIMEON GILBERT, b. 1768.
v. (possibly) LEVI GILBERT, bap. 23 February 1772.
- Barbour Collection of Connecticut Vital Records, “Sacket, Sarah, m. Samuel Gilbert, July 2, 1750, by John Prout, JP. New Haven Vital Records, 1:760.”
- Find-A-Grave (at http://www.findagrave.com).
- Gilbert, Geoffrey, ed.; compiled by Brainard, Homer W. & Clarence Torrey, Gilberts of New England (Victoria, B.C.; 1959).
- Gravestone for Samuel Gilbert (Winchell Mt. Burying Ground, North East, Dutchess Co., NY).
- Hopkins, Frances Blakesley and Pearl Delisle Flint, Blakesley Family, 1630-1957 (1958).
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1981).
- Sackett Family Association website, http://sackettfamily.info/tekdatabase/g8/p8773.htm).
- Scott, Kenneth and Rosanne Conway, Genealogical Data from Colonial New Haven Newspapers (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, 1979).
- Tatro, Joan Gilbert, My Paternal Line from Matthew Gilbert & Related Families (1996), New Haven Colony Historical Society.
- Van Alystyne, L., Burying Grounds of Sharon, Connecticut; Amenia and North East, New York (Heart of the Lakes Publishing, 1983).
- Weygant, Charles, The Sacketts of America.
- Will of Joseph Sackett (Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787-1835., as reproduced at the Sackett Family Association website, http://sackettfamily.info/tekdatabase/g8/p8773.htm).