Cliff McCarthy, 2016
John Buckingham, Jr. was born on October 28, 1700 to John and Frances (Hooper) Buckingham of Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
His wife Hannah was the daughter of William Gosnell, Sr. and Sarah Hills. Hannah was first married to Robert Cross on the 18th of November, 1712 and, after he died in 1720, she married John Buckingham, on January 31, 1720/1*, in St. Margaret’s Parish, Anne Arundel County. It should be noted that some of the area of present Baltimore County was considered Anne Arundel County in those days. John and Hannah Buckingham had four children together.
John Buckingham bought 40 acres of land in Baltimore County, known as “Baker’s Delight,” from John Baker for 20 pounds, on February 21, 1722/3*.
John died in 1741 and was survived by Hannah.
* These dates predate the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in September of 1752. Before then, the year began on March 25. Dates between January 1 and March 25 list both the current and succeeding year, separated by a slash mark. Under today’s calendar, January 31, 1720/1 would be January 31, 1721.
Children of John BUCKINGHAM & Hannah GOSNELL
HANNAH GOSNELL died Aft. 1741. She married (1) ROBERT CROSS 28 November 1712 in St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD. He died Bef. 11 December 1720. She married (2) JOHN BUCKINGHAM, JR. 31 January 1719/20 in prob. St. Anne’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD, son of JOHN BUCKINGHAM and FRANCES HOOPER. He was born 28 October 1700 in St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD, and died Bef. 30 April 1741 in St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A.Co., MD.
Children of HANNAH GOSNELL and ROBERT CROSS are:
i. WILLIAM CROSS, b. 10 December 1713; d. Bef. August 1746; m. DORCAS GROSCUMB, 24 December 1738; b. 17 January 1714/15, St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD.
ii. ROBERT CROSS, JR., b. 3 September 1719; m. JEMIMA GOSNELL, 13 March 1743/44, St. Thomas Parish, Balt. Co., MD; b. 16 September 1724.
Children of HANNAH GOSNELL and JOHN BUCKINGHAM are:
iii. BENJAMIN BUCKINGHAM, SR., b. 12 March 1720/21, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland; d. Aft. 1796; m. ABARILLA GOSNELL, 1740.
iv. ANNE BUCKINGHAM, b. 8 November 1721.
v. FRANCES BUCKINGHAM, b. 27 November 1723, St. Margaret’s Westminster, A.A. Co., MD.
vi. LAVINA BUCKINGHAM, b. 8 February 1727/28, St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD; d. 31 May 1729, St. Margaret’s Parish, A.A. Co., MD.
vii. JOHN BUCKINGHAM, b. 24 June 1730, Anne Arundel Co., MD; d. Bet. 13 November – 3 December 1800, Baltimore Co., MD.
- Administration of John Buckingham’s estate (dated 3 Dec 1741), Maryland Hall of Records, Prerogative Court (Accounts), Liber 18, p.415.
- Barnes, Robert W., Baltimore County Families, 1659 – 1759 (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD; 1989).
- Barnes, Robert, Baltimore County, Maryland Deed Abstracts, 1659-1750 (Family Line Publications, Westminster, MD, 1996).
- Buckingham, Richard William and Muriel, Prologue, 1944, Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD. 1979.
- Inventory of John Buckingham’s estate (Baltimore Co., MD, 30 April 1741, recorded 16 June 1741).
- McIntyre, Robert Henry, Annapolis Maryland Families, Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD 1979.
- Record of Buckingham marriage, Maryland Hall of Records, Annapolis.
- Tracey’s Land Records, courtesy of the Historical Society of Carroll County.
- Will of William Gosnell (Sr.) (Baltimore Co., MD; dated 22 April 1710, probated 29 July 1710), Maryland Hall of Records (Liber 13, pages 34-6).
- Wright, F. Edward, Anne Arundel Co. Church Records of the 17th & 18th Centuries (Family Line Publications; Westminster, MD; 1989), (St. Margaret’s Parish Records).