By Cliff McCarthy, 2016
It is believed that the parents of Magdalena, Margaret, and Barbara (Koons) Baumgartner were Paul and Mary Ann Koons. (The name is spelled in a variety of ways: Koons, Kuhns, Coonce, and Kuntz most common among them.) The assertion is based on Paul Koons’s will, dated February 18, 1815, which names his wife Mary Ann; his sons Peter, Andrew, and Paul; step-daughter Mary Null; and daughters Salley, Catharine Black, Lenah Bomgardner, Elisabeth Adelsberger, Barbara Koons, Margaret Bomgardner, Lilly Koons. The will was proved in Frederick County and was witnessed by Jacob Baumgartner, among others. Mary Ann was apparently the widow of someone named Noll (or Noel, Null) prior to marrying Paul.
A deed bearing the date of February 6, 1792, records the purchase of 136 1/4 acres of land by Paul Coonce from Samuel Owings for a payment of 136 pounds. The tract is called a “Resurvey on Owings Chance” and it lies in Frederick County. Paul and Mary Ann apparently lived in Frederick County, close to Taneytown, Maryland.
The Koons family were parishioners of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Taneytown, however, the baptism of their son Andreas (Andrew) was recorded in February of 1795 at the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Taneytown. Another son Paul, Jr. was baptised at Conewago (Catholic) Chapel on January 21, 1800.
A gravestone in Taneytown, Maryland indicates that Paul Kuhns was born on February 13, 1760 and died on March 3,1815. This range of dates fits with U.S. Census records that show him in Frederick Co., Maryland in 1790, 1800, and 1810, and a widow Mary Ann Kuhns from 1820, 1830, and 1840. Mary Ann lived from March 24, 1758 until June 23, 1844. Paul died leaving a will, and the sale of his property resulted in Carroll County Equity Case #146, which also confirms the death dates of Paul and his wife.
Children of Paul & Mary Ann KOONS
PAUL KOONS was born 13 February 1760, and died 3 March 1815. He married (1) ? BLACK, daughter of ANDREW BLACK and CATHARINE. She died Bef. 1791. He married (2) by 1799 MARY ANN, widow of ? NULL. She was born 24 March 1758, and died 23 June 1844. Children of PAUL KOONS and MARY ANN are:
i. MAGDALENA KOONS, b. 16 February 1783, Maryland; d. 4 August 1853; m. JACOB BAUMGARDNER, JR., 22 August 1810, Frederick Co., MD; b. 25 October 1787, Maryland; d. 20 March 1869.
ii. BARBARA KUNTZ, b. 2 April 1785; d. 10 September 1878; m. SAMUEL BAUMGARDNER, 26 October 1820, Conewago Chapel, Edge Grove, PA; b. 9 June 1793; d. 6 September 1849.
iii. PETER KUHNS, d. Bef. 1844.
iv. SARAH “SALLY” KOONTZ, m. JAMES W. MCGUIGAN, 17 April 1822, Frederick Co., MD.
v. CATHERINE KUNTZ, m. JOHN BLACK.
vi. LILLY KUNTZ.
vii. ELIZABETH KOONS, b. 1786, Maryland; m. JOSHUA ADLESPERGER, 6 February 1811, Frederick Co., MD; b. Abt. 1787, Maryland.
viii. MARGARET KOONS, b. 8 January 1793, Maryland; d. 11 February 1861; m. JOHN BAUMGARDNER; b. 23 August 1790, Piney Run, Pennsylvania/Maryland; d. 16 January 1853, Westminster, Carroll Co., MD.
ix. ANDREW KUHNS, b. January 1795; d. 8 July 1874; m. RACHEL HECK, 14 August 1819, Frederick Co., MD; b. Abt. 1800; d. 18 July 1864.
x. PAUL KUNTZ, JR., b. 17 September 1799.
- 1790 U.S. Census for Paul Coontz (Frederick Co., MD).
- 1800 U.S. Census for Paul Coonce (Taneytown District #5, Frederick Co., MD).
- 1810 U.S. Census for P. Koons (Taneytown District, Frederick Co., MD).
- 1820 U.S. Census for Widow Mary Coons (Frederick Co., MD).
- 1830 U.S. Census for Maryann Koontz (Frederick Co., MD).
- 1840 U.S. Census for Mary Kuhn, Wid. (E.D. #10, Frederick Co., MD).
- Adams Co. Church Records of the 18th Century (Family Line Publications; Westminster, MD).
- Deed from Samuel Owing to Paul Coonse (Baltimore Co., MD; dated 15 September 1791, recorded 6 February 1792), Frederick Co. land Records, Frederick, MD.
- Gravestone of Mary Ann Kuhns (St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Taneytown, MD).
- Gravestone of Paul Kuhns (St. Joseph’s Catholic Cemetery, Taneytown, MD).
- Horvath, George J., Jr., Particular Assessment Lists for Baltimore & Carroll Counties, 1798 (Family Line Publications, Westminster, MD, 1986).
- O’Keefe, Barbara Brady, Founding Catholic Families of Conewago: A Compilation, January 1986.
- Records of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Taneytown, Maryland. Notes copied at Carroll County Historical Society.
- Scharf, J. Thomas, History of Western Maryland, Vol. II (Louis H. Everts, Inc.; Philadelphia, PA; 1882), p. 846. date of death March 15.
- Stenley, Virginia D., Chancery Books of Carroll County Maryland, Vols 1-20, 1837-1873 (Family Line Publications; Westminster, MD; 1994), p. 21, 72.
- Will, Paul Koons, dated February 18,1815, Frederick Co., MD.
- Wright, F. Edward, Newspaper Absracts of Frederick County, 1811-1815 (Willow Bend Books, Westminster, MD, 1992, 1995).