Cliff McCarthy, 2016
Robert Talmage was born before 1620, the son of Thomas Talmage, and he came from England, when a young man. His uncle, John Talmage, of Newton Stacey, Hants, England, left legacies to him and his brothers and brothers-in-law, and on 3 September 1640, at Boston, Massachusetts, they all signed a letter granting power of attorney to Ralph King, of Watford, authorizing him to get their portions from the overseers.
It is claimed Robert Talmage was one of the original purchasers of the New Haven settlement in 1639, and was made freeman there, 1 July 1644. However, his name is not among the first signers of the Fundamental Agreement and he is recorded also as being in Southampton, Long Island, with his father and brother on 7 March 1644. He was admitted to the church at New Haven in 1649.
He married Sarah, daughter of Thomas and Margery (Baker) Nash, early settlers at New Haven, by 1649. She was born in England.
Robert Talmage died in 1662, the invoice of his estate being taken on 3 October that year. It was estimated at 131 pounds & 14 shillings. In the list of proprietors of New Haven in 1685, appears: “Robert Talmage’s heirs.”
As the head of a household of four people, “Widdow Tallmadg” was granted 66 acres in the third division of land at New Haven in December of 1680. She was living on 30 June 1687 when her brother; Major John Nash, made his will and left her a legacy as the “Widow Talmage.” The date of her death is not known.
Children of Robert & Sarah (Nash) TALMAGE
ROBERT TALMAGE was born in England, and died 1662. He married SARAH NASH Abt. 1648, daughter of THOMAS NASH and MARGERY BAKER. She was born in England, and died Aft. 1687. The Children of ROBERT TALMADGE and SARAH NASH are:
i. ABIGAIL TALMAGE, b. 3 May 1649, New Haven, CT.
ii. THOMAS TALMAGE, b. 17 October 1650, New Haven, CT; m. ELIZABETH ALSOP; b. 22 June 1650.
iii. SARAH TALMAGE, b. 19 September 1652, New Haven, CT; m. SAMUEL HOTCHKISS, 18 March 1678/79, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT; b. Abt. 1645; d. 29 December 1705, East Haven, New Haven Co., CT.
iv. JOHN TALMAGE, b. 11 September 1654, New Haven, CT; d. April 1690; m. ABIGAIL BISHOP, 18 November 1686; b. 30 October 1658.
v. ENOS TALMAGE, b. 4 October 1656, New Haven, CT; m. HANNAH YALE, 9 May 1682.
vi. MARY TALMAGE, b. 2 September 1659, New Haven, CT; d. December 1673.
- Anderson, Mary Audentia Smith, Ancestry and Posterity of Joseph Smith and Emma Hale, (Independence, MO: 1929).
- Anderson, Robert Charles, Great Migration Begins, (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, 1995, as republished on CD-ROM by MyFamily.com Inc., 2000.).
- Dexter, Franklin Bowditch, Historical Catalogue of the Members of the First Church of Christ in New Haven, CT, (New Haven, CT, 1914).
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1981).
- “Notes of Mrs. G. N. Williams of New London, CT,” Genealogical Manuscripts Collection, Wood Museum of Springfield History, Springfield, MA.
- Talmadge, Arthur White, Talmadge, Tallmadge & Talmage Genealogy, (Grafton Press: New York, 1909).