Cliff McCarthy, 2016
Joseph Potter was born in England and was only 20 weeks old when he was brought to America with his parents William and Frances Potter. The ship Abigail left London in mid-July of 1635 and the family arrived at Watertown, Massachusetts. The passenger list included:
William Potter, husbandman, 27
Frances Potter, wife of William, 26
Joseph Potter, 4 months
About 1660, Joseph married Phebe Ives, eldest daughter of early New Haven settlers William and Hannah (Dickerman) Ives, and they had three children that survived to adulthood.
In 1662, charges of “bestiality” were brought against William Potter by Joseph’s mother and a son, probably Joseph. William Potter was subsequently convicted and hanged. One cannot fathom the level of disharmony this must have created in the family and the community, but the records of the time only hint at family strife. [For more on this incident, see: POTTER, William & Frances]
Joseph died in 1669 at age 34, cause unknown.
Phebe married a second time in August of 1670 to John Rose, Jr. by whom she had five more children.
Children of Joseph & Phebe (Ives) POTTER & John ROSE, Jr.
JOSEPH POTTER was born Abt. 1635 in England, son of WILLIAM POTTER and FRANCES, and he died 17 August 1669 in New Haven, CT. He married PHEBE IVES, daughter of WILLIAM IVES and HANNAH DICKERMAN. She was born 1642. She married (2) JOHN ROSE, JR. August 1670 in New Haven, CT.
Children of PHEBE IVES and JOSEPH POTTER are:
i. JOSEPH POTTER, b. 8 October 1661.
ii. REBECCA POTTER, b. 26 May 1663; m. (1) SAMUEL FRISBIE; m. (2) CHARLES TYLER.
iii. PHEBE POTTER, b. Abt. 1665; d. 12 July 1738, Branford, New Haven Co., CT; m. JOHN PALMER; b. 22 December 1666, Branford, New Haven Co., CT; d. 13 January 1737/38, Branford, New Haven Co., CT.
iv. JOSEPH POTTER, b. 8 March 1667/68, New Haven, CT; d. 22 November 1742, New Haven, New Haven Co., CT; m. MARY SHERMAN; b. 26 October 1670, New Haven, New Haven Co., CT.
Children of PHEBE IVES and JOHN ROSE are:
v. DEBORAH ROSE, b. 6 June 1671.
vi. SARAH ROSE, b. 26 November 1673.
vii. HANNAH ROSE, b. 15 March 1676/77.
viii. JOHN ROSE, b. 28 October 1679.
ix. DANIEL ROSE, b. 11 March 1682/83.
- Clark, Jr., Harman R., “William Potter and Some of His Descendants,” unpublished manuscript, 1996.
- Ives, Arthur Coon, Genealogy of the Ives Family, (Hungerford-Holbrook Co.; Watertown, NY, 1932), p. 28.
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven, (Genealogical Publishing Co.; Baltimore, MD, 1981).
- “Passengers of the Abigail,” website of the Winthrop Society, http://winthropsociety.com/ships/abigail.htm
- Shepard, James, New Haven (Conn.) Potters, 1639, (New England Historic Genealogical Society Register, January 1900), “Electronic.”